Here are some of the Sitecore interview questions which I faced in my interview –
Q1. What is CMS?
Ans – A content management system (CMS) is a software application or set of related programs that are used to create and manage digital content. CMSes are typically used for enterprise content management (ECM) and web content management (WCM).
Link – http://searchsoa.techtarget.com/definition/content-management-system
Q2. How we can configure Multi-site solution in Sitecore.
Q3. What is event queue and how it works?
Sitecore EventQueue architecture gives great scalability to Sitecore, launched with version 6.3. Enabling it can allows clustering of Content Management Servers (CMs) and Content Delivery Servers (CDs). It allows events on one server to be executed on other servers in a cluster.
Q4. Where events store in event queue?
Ans – Events stored in Sitecore Database.
Q5. What is CM, CD and PI in Sitecore?
- CM – CM stands for Content Management server, CM server is responsible for your content editing and content management.
- CD – CD stands for Content Delivery server, CD server is responsible for serving live site/Prod content.
- PI – PI stands for Publishing Instance server, PI server is responsible for your publishing operations.
Q6. Explain workflow (states and commands)?
Workflows provide a flexible and controllable way of content creation, maintenance, and review. Sitecore’s workflow facilities make it possible to quickly define sophisticated workflows, often without writing any code at all.
Q7. What is your process to create Sitecore structure for small website and how you will start?
Steps to create a small Site.
1. Provide some idea about Sitecore installation and also provide steps to create a simple site like create template, define fields on template, create standard value, create layout and sublayouts, apply layout and sublayouts on standard value of data template, create items by referring data template.
A overview of how you start with your Sitecore development. Also don’t forgot to mention Sitecore best practices like Assign options, standard values and all.
Q8. How we can change the language of our site?
Very simple way to change language of Site is add context language using “sc_lang” query string parameter. For example:
For English – http://youwebsite.com?sc_lang=en
For Franch – http://youwebsite.com?sc_lang=fr
Q9. What is difference between Droplink and Droplist field of Sitecore?
Read http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25178987/whats-the-difference-between-sitecore-a-droplink-and-droplist-in-the-custom-ite post it can give you better understanding of differences.
Q10. If you have experience of Umbraco then what differences you want to highlight between Sitecore and Umbraco?
Very basic difference is Umbraco is freely available and Sitecore is paid. Other then this you can also tell the working differences like in Sitecore we have Template and in Umbraco we have Document Types etc.
Q11. What is Sitecore DMS and what is the configuration steps?
DMS is stand for Digital Marketing System and with the newer versions of Sitecore it is provided out of the box. There is no configurations steps. DMS is basically use to track the visitors on our website and perform several actions on visits.
Q12. How we can create custom action in Web Form For Marketers?
Q13. How we can create publishing targets in Sitecore?
Q14. How we can show our custom database name on Sitecore desktop?
Create a database node under <databases> location in Sitecore.Config.
Provide the name in Id of below setting –
<database id=”[Name]” singleInstance=”true” type=”Sitecore.Data.Database, Sitecore.Kernel”>
Q15. Have you ever got chance to customize Sitecore if yes then what you did and how?
If you have customize Sitecore then please tell the steps how you did. You can also find some of customization in Sitecore in same blog series-
Q16. How we can create a custom button in Sitecore ribbon?
Q17. What is event handlers and how we can create a event handlers in Sitecore?
Q18. What is shared and unversioned fields?
- Shared: When this checkbox is selected, the field has the same value for every numbered version in all supported languages. When the Shared property is set, changes to the field value in any language or numbered version of the item will be reflected in all the other language versions and numbered versions. In other words, the field is the same, no matter the version or language.
- Unversioned: When this checkbox is selected, the field has the same value for every numbered version within a language, but may have different values between languages. Unversioned fields are similar to shared fields, but the system can maintain different field values for different languages. In other words, the field is the same, no matter the version; the field depends only on language.
Q19. What is personalization and how we can set it?
Q20. How we can active personalization button on sublayout?
In newer version of Sitecore it is already active no need to active any button.
Q21. What is renderings in sitecore and how we can create these?
Q22. What is caching and types of caching?
Q23. What is pipeline in Sitecore?
Q24 What’s now in Sitecore7.
Q25 Where we can see log files (also read about how Sitecore Log Analyzer (SCLA) module works)?
Q26. What is Item Bucket and how it’s useful?
Q27. What is use of standard value of data template.
That’s all for now, if you have more questions then please share in comments below.
Happy coding 🙂